Baby Moto

Baby Moto
Baby's first smile!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Save Me!!

    I was checking out one of the seventeen thousand cloth diaper/green living blogs that I follow (only a slight exaggeration) and stumbled upon this cloth diaper savings calculator. Inputing the cost of the diapers I've bought and the cost of doing laundry- soap and power usage- and subtracting it from the cost that I would have spent on disposables and it spit out these statistics:
      You will break even in 26.94 weeks or 6.2 months. You will save $346.9 in 10 months. You will save $529.54 in 1 year. You will save $1077.43 in 1 1/2 years.
    Not too shabby eh?! That's not even including the fact that I'm using reusable wipes. Although the savings are nothing to sneeze at, I know I could've saved a bit more had I been a little smarter about my first purchases. I love love love my BumGenius 4.0s, but I'm also finding that I really enjoy the prefolds and covers. The snappi and flats are great backups but definitely not my go-to diapers. The flats dry so quickly and wash so well, but they also are a little difficult to put on a squirmy baby. The Cutey Baby's have been put in the far back part of the changing table as a last resort even after the flats. Some people like the all-in-one factor that keeps things easy to stuff, wash and keep track of, but they're a bit of a hazard when baby poops- too often the poo goes between the cracks where you tuck the main insert into the middle opening so it oozes and actually soils the cover and good luck getting that rinsed well. All poop aside, I feel pretty good about my purchases thus far! I'll have to recalculate things in another couple of months though as see how the savings are then.....dun dun DUNNNNN!

No comments:

Post a Comment