Baby Moto

Baby Moto
Baby's first smile!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Off to Grandma's We Go!!

Well, we're all back home safe and sound (though some of us a little worse-for-wear than the others.) Acy and I decided to take a little Babymoon and go up to Grandma's Marathon in Duluth (northern Minnesota) while baby stayed with Nani and Bapa at the cabin in Alexandria (along with his Auntie Beth, Uncle Jim and cousins!)

Acy's alive after running 26.2 MILES at Grandma's Marathon and finished with a very respectable time of 4 hours and 20(something) minutes, though I think having only run about four times this year before hand is taking a bit of a toll on him- he's walking kind of like he just got off a horse after riding a day. But he finished and in my books, that's amazing! Overall, I think he actually really enjoyed himself, despite his disappointment in his time. We were able to have some yummy appetizers the evening of the race with some well-deserved beers (at least on their part), we had breakfast at our usual coffee/pancake house (The Vanilla Bean) and Masa and Acy had some time together after the race and that afternoon to happily rehash the individual times for each mile, where they struggled, etc. Ahhh, the bromance continues.

I, happily, decided not to go to the finish line this year and stayed at the campsite where I caught up on my sleep, read half of my book (The Magicians) and listened to my music while having a gentle breeze pass through my tent and over my bare feet. It was perfect- much better than having to go through the stop-and-go, one-lane traffic to get into Duluth, find a parking spot and successfully park, walk about two miles myself, see them finish (hopefully) only to lose them in a crowd of about 15,000 people and have to find them again after they exited the runner's area= HEADACHE!! So it all worked out; I got to relax and enjoy my day alone and Acy and Masa got to be the crazy fools they are and run in 50 degree, slightly rainy and windy weather.

Instead of spending the last day relaxing and recouperating from the race, we had to drive back that morning after a delicious breakfast to attend a wedding at 2:30 Sunday afternoon. So we got home around 12:30, jumped in the shower, threw on some decent clothes and jumped back in the car (where I proceeded to poke my eyes with my mascara as I tried to put on makeup) to drive to downtown Minneapolis and hop on a boat that would take us on a little "cruise" up and down the Mississippi while we saw Acy's friends from Origami get married!! It was a lovely wedding and the weather held up perfectly for it- a little cloudy and humid but the sun peaked out and there was a gentle breeze off the river.
When we got home last night at 10 we were ready to crash but couldn't help but sneak down to see our baby (who was awake and crying actually) and smother him with kisses. There really is no feeling in the world like seeing your baby, your heart again. I missed him and today he's spending time with daddy (daddy even took him to his work for a little while so he could put in an order for fish) but tomorrow he's all MINE again- and I'm very happy about that for once!!

And, as always, I must speak about my cloth diapers- I had to run over to Peapods again after I dropped baby off at Auntie Beth and Uncle Jim's house (they were super sweet and took TJ to the cabin with them so we didn't have to drive two and half hours out of our way) because I had to pick up some more Bac-Out and Rockin Green laundry detergent. I was intrigued in hearing that Rockin Green is now a "remix" and that their formula is slightly different so we'll have to see how that compares. I also couldn't resist the Econobum trial-pack in green that comes with a shell and three pre-folds. I also, then, had to pick up another Duo cover in Bluebird, a Duo set that comes with two pads, and a Thirsties hemp insert- all just to try them out, ever the explorer in this world of cloth diapering.

Now, I need an opinion! How do you feel about someone putting a drying-rack out on the deck on sunny days (bringing it in after the day and not as a permanent fixture) to sun-bleach their clothes? What if said deck was in view of the road?

No comments:

Post a Comment